Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Son's Wisdom

Do you realise that children nowadays have so much pressure from all parties, ie their parents, teachers, peers to excel in their studies, to the extend that they do not enjoy studying. To them it is a chore to go to school and it is not fun at school.

The reason I'm saying this is, as I'm working full time, I always make it a point to call my son when he comes back from school and ask him how his day was. Today, he told me that one of his teacher was absent from school. So, I said he and his friends must be very happy and whether they played in school. Do you know the answer : He said "Of course not, Mummy !!! Do you think the school is a playground ?" Have they been trained that at 8 years old, they are not allowed to have fun ??? This is so sad.

Another point I want to make is that all the parents send their children for all sorts of tuition (I'm guilty of it too). But like I mentioned, I'm working full time and the main reason that I send my son for tuition is so that someone can help him in his Chinese homework and to guide him on whatever studies that he could not understand in school. Therefore, he just obtained his final term exam results and generally he did quite OK (scoring mainly 80s, one not so good at 60s and a few 90s). But other parents, even if their children score all 90s for their papers, they will say their children did not do well at all ???

With his Year 2 results, the school may stream the kids according to their results for Year 3. So my son's results may end him in either the 3rd or 4th class (in total 4 classes altogether) in Year 3. I actually prepared my son and asked him, what if he is in the 3rd or 4th class next year, his answer - "Mummy, it's just a class. What's the big deal. There's no problem and I will make new friends if that happens." I went :O. My baby is growing up. We must learn from him - is it that important what class you are in, A/B/C or D or do we teach him the importance of learning and to enjoy the learning process...........

Hmmm, something to ponder for us adults.